Welcome to the Social Marketing News double-hitter! This week’s post will also cover last week’s headlines in social media. For the first time since I’ve been writing the Social Marketing News, I missed last week’s recap due to illness as well as being out of town. So here’s a two-for-one post to make up for it.
Twitter’s new List feature has been the talk of the town in social media during the past two weeks. I first made mention of the new feature in the 10/23 SMN post. Since then, there’s been thousands of articles and blog posts written up about Lists. Some of my favorites are these: Twitter Lists: FAQ and Strategies, Twitter Lists and Real-Time Journalism, 4 Ways News Organizations are Using Twitter Lists, and The Brilliance of Twitter Lists and Suggestions for Improvement. Twitter Lists are fantastic for grouping tweeps based on interest or profession, organizing various Twitter streams into topic categories, and allowing users to quickly access specific tweeps without having to be a follower. More over, an unexpected benefit from Lists is the creation of another way to judge popularity, authority and/or influence of every Twitter user: each Twitter profile displays how many times a user has been “Listed”. In addition to how many followers one may have, the number of Lists that a user has been listed on gives us a quantitative value of their Twitter social status.
Lists have been praised as the most useful improvement ever made on Twitter. However, the TwitterPeek is a new gadget hailed as one of the most useless Twitter tools of all time. The TwitterPeek is a small, smartphone-sized device meant for one thing, and one thing only: connect you to Twitter. It doesn’t do anything that just about any smartphone can’t do, and I believe the price tag is a little steep for a one trick pony: $99 for six months of service ($8/month after that), or $199 for a lifetime service plan. I much rather have a new Coach wallet, thanks.
On Wednesday Apple announced that it’s iTunes App Store has reached 100,000 iPhone apps. But as ReadWriteWeb reports, new data from AppsFire reveals that of those 100,000 available apps, only about 20% of them are currently used. The other 80% of apps are not actively installed on iPhones, iPods or iTouch devices. Classic 80/20 rule. Click here for the long-tail graph from AppsFire.
Following the news of Bing and Google’s deals with Twitter to include tweets in search result a few weeks ago, Google announced a new Google Labs experiment its calling Google Social Search. Here’s the idea: you create a social graph on your Google user profile by linking all of your social networking accounts like Facebook, Twitter, FriendFeed as well as Google products like YouTube, Picasa and Blogger. Once your social graph is complete, information from those networks will be integrated into Google search results. When you search Google for a product, service, destination, or anything else, recommendations and comments from your friends, family and other contacts would be displayed alongside the normal Web results on the search page. In this way, the Google search engine becomes a recommendation engine. If this idea becomes mainstream, it will be a game-changer for SEO and SEM marketers, as organic search listings will compete against word of mouth from the user’s social circle. Watch the demo video and get all the details straight from the Google blog, and be sure to check out this great article from ClickZ: Social Media, Meet Search.
Blogs and other news media
Social Media, Meet Search (Click Z)
The TwitterPeek is a Peek that tweets (CrunchGear)
iTunes App Store: 100k Apps, But Only 20% Are Being Used (ReadWriteWeb)
Google’s Creepy Social Search (PC Mag)
E-Mail Marketers Don’t Get Mobile Marketing (Mobile Marketing Watch)